Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Matt - Iteration of third design from "Favourites 11/11"

 I have been looking at the third design shown in the last post. My thoughts are that it could be made using two components, a back block made using wood or a high gloss colourful plastic and a glass or perspex front.
the wooden back gives the shelf a nice aesthetic, and the plastic option opens the possibility of a range of bright colours to stand out in a kitchen. I also think that to have the knives pull out from only one side may look neater than using both.

 the triangular shape allows for a range of usage possibilities, although there are holes on the back for wall mounting as a shelf, there is nothing to stop the user storing the knife shelf in the same way as a block as shown in any of the first 3 ways shown in the above image. 
The clear front can be easily slipped out for cleaning. one marketing point that I plan to look into is what is in the bottom of a slot in a knife block that is used over time, as I predict that it could be quite surprising to see what has collected in the bottom of the slots where the user cannot see. The removable front, and the possibility of the product being dishwasher safe, give the USP of being cleaner than a standard knife block.

No comments:

Post a Comment